View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 02:17 AM
Administrator

From their website... The 96% pure ethyl alcohol produces necrosis of disc tissue. Necrotic tissue is dead.

This reminds me of chymopapaine... an enzyme that is injected into the disc herniation to dissolve it. It worked well and is still used in many countries. The problem with chymopapaine is that the enzyme didn't know when to stop 'digesting' tissue. When less bright doctors though... ."wow, if 500 units is good... 4000 units must be better", serious damage was done. There were also fatal allergic reactions. Now they test for allergies before administering it. Properly applied, it can be like magic.

It seems that the discogel theory is similar. However, it is simply killing disc nucleus tissue so that it will be resorbed, shrinking the herniation. this seems promising in certain applications, however, it does nothing to address the degenerative changes in the disc. Disc volume is further reduced. Mechanical problems are not addressed.

I believe this will work in cases where simply shrinking the herniation will decompress a nerve, but most of the cases I've been involved in will be too far down the degenerative cascade for this to be a reasonable solution.

I wonder about the potential damage when the injectant goes where it is not intended. Damage to the annulus? Save in the spinal canal? Safe around the spinal cord?

Thanks for posting... this does sound promising for some of us. I hope that my concerns prove to be unfounded!

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org