View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 04:35 AM

Default Radio Frequency Ablations help Alleviate Facet Issues

Hi Laurel,

I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain but I think I have an idea of what you are going through. I am new to this site and I wanted to share some of my experiences and results in hopes that it may help you through this tough time. I have damaged discs and damaged facet joints in both my neck and back so i too am looking for any new facet technologies but need it to be combined with the artificial disc replacement (ADR) and all I have found so far is the Total Spine Motion Segment system.

Of course, different things work for different people but the RFA procedure works for me. If your pain is anywhere close to what mine was before the RFA procedure it has the potential to ruin lives. The constant stabbing like nerve pain in both my lower facets, became so intense it was difficult to stand or walk far at all before I had to curl into a ball to stretch out and try to control the severe pain. It eventually became completely unbearable in both facet joints on either side and even pain meds could do little to control this super severe joint pain and that is when I found the RFA procedure through my research.

I suggest you research and find the most reputable and capable pain management doctor in your area. They are highly trained in Pain Medicine and will most often work out of a nearby surgery center where they perform Radio Frequency Ablations (RFA), Injections, ect… The doctor will talk with you and review your MRI in order to try and pinpoint the source of the pain. He will then inject one or both facets and this numbs them for a week or two before the permanent RFA procedure. If that was the source of your pain you should know right away and will usually be anxious to get in the next week and have the nerves permanently fried. The nerves usually grow back within 3-12 months and the procedure has to be repeated but it is worth it for me, without question!

Both of my legs still constantly feel like they are being crushed in a vice or a compactor and the only procedure that has ever relieve my leg pain was an Epidural Steroid Injection directly into the disc. The injection they simply spread around my low spine had little to no effect whatsoever. I personally feel the time I spent seeing a physiatrist was a complete waste of time because they are usually not trained in pain management and when that is what you need, dealing with a physiatrist can cause undue stress.

I hope this helps a little bit

MRI L5-S1

Right greater than left facet hypertrophy contributes to moderate to severe right and moderate left neural foramen stenosis, stable on the left and increased on the right compared to previous exam. Persistent disc bulge touching the thecal sac and narrowing the neural foramina. L5 nerve root impingement cannot be excluded.