Thread: laser clinics
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 04:58 AM

Kris,
My hubby had a minimally invasive spinal fusion, done by a neurosurgeon known to us, back on Dec 1, 2010 and he's done very well. Dr. Ramos used the Medtronic CD Quadrant Sextant system. He has 2 puncture sites on either side of his spine and 3 tiny incisions lower down. The procedure involves using gradually larger tubes, through which the surgeon works, puts in screws on each side, and places the rods in through the small incisions. Of course, a portable C-arm fluroscopy unit is used, as well as an instrument to alert the doctor if he's getting too close to a nerve or nerve root. Dr. Ramos did his 4th surgery in 2004, to remove bulging disc material as well as doing foramenotomies. He did well after that surgery, but with time, got to the point where the disc was completely gone at L4-5 and the L4 vertebra was actually lipping over the front of the L5 vertebra. He also has foot drop, which he's had since '98, for which he had to have emergency decompression surgery. But the delay in PT post-op prevented saving that nerve. As a result, he's fallen frequently and messed up his left knee~~~same side as his initial injury. Workers' Comp and battling with them now about his knee. Took him exactly a YEAR to get the fusion approved. Anyhow, hope I got the name right of the system used, and I would certainly recommend a neurosurgeon over an orthopedic surgeon. From my experience, neurosurgeons are not as rough on the tissues as orthopods are, but make sure you get a good one!
Good luck with your search for information.
Ann