View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 05:31 PM

Default A bit more detail -

I am thankful to have found this place to ask for information. I've battled DDD for about 12 years, and it has culminated in my visiting Dr. Feil here in Heidelberg, Germany. He is recommending a disc replacement at L-5/S-1. Unfortunately, we are only stationed here for another week, so I don't have time to have the surgery and recover fully before we are sent to the US. I have several questions and would appreciate input. Here are the basics:

Apparently I have learned to live with more pain than I realized. I am not physically active, and at this time am not working outside the home, so I guess I rest more and do less than I realized. I'm not on pain meds, only a sleep aid and some large advil every other day or so. I have what feels like a hot knife pushing in my left lower back/upper "left cheek", and numbness in the outer half of my left foot.

The xray showed a "levocurvature" of the lumbar spine, which Dr. Feil thinks is a result of all the muscles pulling the spine to one side away from the bad disc. He feels it would straighten back out when the problem is solved.

MRI reads as follows: L5-S1 - diffuse left posterolateral disc protrusion measures 3.5mm AP. Mild left greater than right facet degenerative changes are seen with mild ligamentum flavum hypertrophy measuring 2 mm. Disc protrusion cause is mild to moderate narrowing of the left lateral recess and abuts the left S1 nerve root. There is also mild narrowing of the left neural foreamen without compression of the exiting nerve root. Right lateral recess and neural foramen are patent.

Dr. Feil also noted that L4-L5 is dehydrated but not bulging. He said L5-S1 is unstable. He was so positive about the excellent results of artificial disc replacement, and said because I have beginning osteopenia and arthritis, I wouldn't get the "movable" disc but one that is more like a cage - but not a fusion, which he did NOT recommend.

I am so frightened. Apparently this surgery is not commonly offered in the US so I feel like I am blowing my chance to have it if I don't rearrange our plans and stay in Germany long enough - it's already approved and the paperwork was done before I ever saw the surgeon. When we go back to the US, I would have to start the process over. Options: Return to Germany on my own and self-pay for the surgery at a later time, rush into it and just do it now, wait and get some opinions in the US.

I don't know how urgent this is. The surgeon met with me for two hours and answered a lot of questions, but I was so shell-shocked I didn't ask how dangerous it would be to wait. I emailed him, but haven't heard back.

I have heard that surgery should always be a last resort. When do you cross the line from nipping damage in the bud to waiting too long? Am I there yet? How much pain were you all in before you went for it with the surgery? I'm absolutely driving myself crazy with the choices. Would so appreciate all advice. How fast does this get worse? I've lived with it for 12 years and functioned ok...