View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the info, i really appreciate it. Ive actually got a great primary who tries his best to help and at least dull the pain as best he can, or as best i let him. Im actually very wary of pain meds, both bc of the abuse potential and because it really is almost just an illusion of wellbeing. I mean no disrespect to anyone who can only find releif through them. I mean for instance, if i take a med, i feel normal, thats not so bad. It becomes an illusion when i think i can pick up my daughter when i really just cant.

In our state we have a database that the cops watch for dr shoppers, as Orwellian as that is i have nothing to hide as ive always insisted that any and all prescriptions get referred to my primary for his consideration and writing. I digress though...

The more i look into all of this, the more limited PM seems, not in a bad way, almost as though its a really young field of medicine that we are just starting to even look at, let alone understand. Maybe limited isnt the right word, perhaps young is better. It looks like for almost every ailment there are 3 options: PT/meds, epidurals/injections, and finally surgery. Each one more invasive than the previous one. Or maybe im just young and havent looked around enough yet.

Im supposed to get the epidural tomorrow, im going to cancel as ive read they really have a small impact on overall pain level as well as having very little impact on the healing process. But mainly bc i want some of my questions answered, i was literally called with an appointment to get them 1 hr after my dr visit. Again, i appreciate your responses!
Drs are unsure whats causing this, had my whole body MRI'ed, nerve conduction studies, its mostly normal. I do have degen disk disease on my L 3, 4, 5 but they said the bulging in those discs shouldnt cause so much pain where i describe it and its not bad enough to do surgery. Ie "lets just see if it goes away". Out of options, cant take this crippling pain much longer. Im out of work til we fix this.