Thread: ER Experiences?
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Default ER Experiences?

How many of you have been to the ER for uncontrolled pain related to your spine issues? Having dealt with about 1,000 clients, I've seen this process from afar from watching them. For the most part, the experiences are not good. The appearance to the ER staff often seems like someone coming in, looking for opiates. Drug seeker? Psych case? Some of the stories are pretty horrific.

I want to make clear that I'm not suggesting staying away from the ER. Symptoms from our spine problems will often mimic other health issues that must be ruled out. Obviously, if you are having symptoms like a heart attack, the fact that your spine problems often manifest themselves with similar symptoms DOES NOT mean that you are not having a heart attack. (This is my problem... the thoracic problems wrap around to the front so I'm experiencing crushing L chest pain and L arm pain. (And my dad's cardiovascular status would put me in a higher risk category.)

IF YOU ARE HAVING SYMPTOMS THAT MAY INDICATE A SERIOUS AND URGENT PROBELM, GO TO THE E.R. If you are unsure, go. If you are not going, call your doctor's office and let them know so they can decide if it's OK to ignore the symptoms.

Unfortunately, in the E.R., they don't have much to do for us except to rule out potential emergent problems, give us a shot which will likely control even the worst pain for some number of hours (or minutes.)

What are your experiences with going to the ER for pain?

Thanks in advance for the input. All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org