View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 03:23 AM

Default This blows!

I know that's a bit rough.. like I'm a sailor or something tho here goes...
I had a right foot bunionectomy and 4th toe on right foot hammertoe surgery.

Ok I have been soooo freakin' patient about recuperating because I also have a condition in my right leg called Lymphedema. This means the lymph valves in this extremity are faulty so I have decreased ability to drain excess fluids/toxins from this extremity.. the foot that is.

So... have to keep my right leg/foot elevated above my heart.. have to keep this foot/leg wrapped with a compression dressing.

And my foot surgeon says.. have to wear thong sandals so that the great toe on the right foot won't move towards the other toes.

The recovery, the gimping, the not being able to wear my tennis shoes with inserts are really getting to my back. I mean ... really!!!!!!

I've forced myself to walk more than I really should in the footwear I'm allowed to wear BECAUSE of my back pain. This helps alleviate back pain for me. Unfortunately I activated my Posterior Tibial Tendonitis in both feet (or bilaterally) which again has me resting!!!!

It's a vicious cycle. I'm trying not to dwell on the various injuries and limitations imposed upon me because I try very hard to be positive and to forge thru things to remain mobile/acitve.

I do have to say that the body is a perfect balancing act esp as we age I believe. I do think that upsetting the "perfect (or imperfect tho functional) balance has alot to do with activation of pain (flare ups).

For all of you out there who are seeking answers with regard to your low back pain please do try to make sure that your footwear is supportive enough and comfortable.

Try the very most basic steps you can at first in terms of helping yourself with back pain. I've had 30 years of back probs and two spine surgeries. I'm not saying don't seek surgical opinions as I'm sure if you're to the point of contacting a surgeon you've been suffering. Just trying a bit re non invasive suggestions so perhaps making sure your gait and footwear is adequte and even superior could be first stop (leg length indifference).

Last edited by Maria; 06-30-2012 at 03:27 AM.