View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 AM

Default discograms

I've had 3 and they didn't hurt anymore than my back going out or flaring up terribly over the 20 years before I had the 1st discogram done! With the first one I learned that with the 2nd I asked for something to be given in the disc space to help with the pain afterwards so I was given Marcaine in the injected discs. The 3rd time I had an ESI (epidural steroid injection) done after the discogram so that was even less pain and longer duration of relief!

My discograms were 3 levels... re a 3 level fusion ~ were you checked out to see if at any levels you could have an artificial disc vs. fusion? At least you've had your children already so you won't be trying to get pregnant and go thru that having a baby/toddler to deal with after your recovery should you have a multi level fusion.

I was slated to have a 3 level global fusion in 2001 and decided against it waiting to see if I would be able to have artificial discs implanted instead and even tho I had multiple recommendations for at least 2 level ADR or hybrid surgery with ADR and fusion I didn't have any of it done as I felt better enough after many years of pain (like 20 plus) to not have more surgery (had 2 discectomies already w/2nd one failing terribly).

I think how you do post fusion is pretty individual and I would think the pain would be worst than the discogram in that it's prolonged while you recover and hopefully you will recover well however again I think that is very individual. I'd not try to rush recovery that's for sure as that could lead to more problems and more surgery sooner than later. Many people that have fusions seem to have to have more surgery/more fusions.

My last spine surgery was in '92. I hope to keep it that way tho I do have flare ups and I still have problems. I think tho I'd have more problems if I had had more surgery particularly fusion from what I see of persons having fusions.

However only you know how badly you're feeling and functioning. I don't use a cane tho I don't work any longer and I do take a low dose opioid pain med daily. I think it's a fair trade off however for how well I think I'm functioning most of the time spine wise.

Wishing you the best with whatever you do and please don't make your decision in haste.. really think it out and make it from a mental place that where you're thinking clearly and not feeling under the gun to make a decision if that's at all possible.

Last edited by Maria; 07-14-2012 at 12:26 AM.