Thread: disc extrusion
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 01:51 AM

Default really?

To poster above me..

Actually I injured my spine in the early 80's. I waited 9 years before having my first spine surgery because I worked in Neurosurgery and didn't really see anything too promising. Finally I couldn't wait. First surgery in '89.. good outcome. 2nd in 92.. horrific outcome...

You couldn't have dragged me half dead to another spine surgery because of the outcome of my 2nd surgery~ I mean HORRIFIC pain for years..

Sometimes waiting is OK. I did and I'm doing far better for it as far as I'm concerned.

** I tried to edit this last night to reflect my reasons for waiting..

After many years of terribly chronic pain post 2nd spine surgery and while I was still considering surgical options I started PM in 2001 with low dose opioid pain med, ESIs and had been on Neurontin since '98 for neuropathies that devloped post 2nd spine surgery in '92 (severe burning pain bilat both legs,buttocks).

2001 offered 3 level global fusion.. had a few friends that had this surgery and did much worse afterwards.
2003-2006 offered ADR 2 levels then ADR with fusion at L5S1. Just wasn't ready for surgery in 2003 for various reasons.. then by 2006 started to feel so much better didn't want to take a chance on more surgery and having any significant setback.

I think about 2009 my OSS told me L5S1 had autofused and that's why I probably had so much relief. Still have L4 flareups tho not so bad as in the past and usually an injection of 60mg IM of Toradol helps with my cervical or lumbar spasms. I still don't sit alot, don't work, and still take a low dose pain med daily tho only the pain med, no longer the Neuronting (painful neuropathies gone).

I'm glad I waited tho again I'm heading on to 59y.o. and started this spine journey back when I was 28... I wasn't really planning on waiting ~ tho am glad I did. Still if I should need a future surgery and am a viable candidate for something or "have to have" because of neurodeficits, loss of tone, strength, funciton or loss of bowel/bladder control (incontinence) then I won't hestitate to have surgery. Meanwhile like the old saying goes "if ain't broke don't fix it." Well~ at least broke and a big honking painful mess!

good luck.. we all do what we do and see how it goes~ wishing anyone who has any spine surgery best possible outcome.

Last edited by Maria; 07-17-2012 at 05:40 PM.