Thread: I forgot!
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 10:16 PM

Smile Old folks bending over a shopping cart!

Well.....I think that applies to me, unfortunately! I just turned 65 and shopping carts and a walker (for long distance walking) are my friends! Anything that I can lean onto bending forward on does the trick.

MRI summary: diminished vertical height and signal intensity of L1-2 thru L-5-S1, intervertebral disc more so at L1-2 more so since last exam. Diminished signal intensity and vertical height from L2-3 thru L5-S1 unchanged from last exam. Conus is seen to terminate normally at L1-2.

At L1-2 there is mild posterior disc bulge not extending laterally. Mild facet hypertrophy is seen without significant lateral recess narrowing or nerve root impingement. At L2-3 there is posterocentral lateral bulge of the annulus fibrosus. Bilateral facet hypertrophy is seen without significant lateral recess narrowing. There may be effacement of bilateral L3 nerve roots unchanged from before. Mild degree of canal stenosis is seen. At L3-4 there is posterocentral and lateral bulge of the annulus fibrosus. Facet Hypertrophy is seen with lateral recess narrowing. There is a moderate degree of canal stenosis to ligamentous laxity and laminar hypertrophy. As a result there may be effacement of bilateral L4 nerve roots. At L4-5 there is posterocentral lateral bulge of the annulus fibrosis. Mild degree of canal stenosis secondary to liamentous laxity. As a result there may be effacement of bilateral L5 nerve roots. at L5-S1 there is posterocentral and lateral bulge, etc., etc. Bilateral facet hypertrophy is seen of a mild degree with mild degree of recess narrowing. this is unchanged since last exam and there may be effacement of bilateral S1 nerve roots!
Whew!!

In English, please?

So far, I've seen an Orthopod who suggested the double level fusion...."strictly elective and it MAY help your leg pain" - my left leg, in particular, will hurt like crazy and go numb. After having the selective nerve root injections (4 total) into the S1 area and the other compressed nerve areas, my right leg hurts, especially if I lay on my left side. Shooting, electric pain.

If anyone cares to interpret the above MRI, am I too far gone for as simple a procedure as X-stop....or, more importantly, the newer minimally invasive lumbar decompression (MILD, Vertos Medical). That is very patient specific....i.e., ligamentum flavum (? I think)

Thanks again for taking the time to read and help this old lady (altho my mind still thinks I'm 35!) decide what to do!

Linda