View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 03:46 AM

Question What to expect post laminectomies?

Hello! I am scheduled for posterior laminectomies of the T3-4, T5-6, and T9-10 with fusion and instrumentation on 4 Sept and then of the L2-5 sometime in Oct depending how the first procedure goes. I had a ACDF of the C4-7 back in Nov 2011 and had good success with it and a fairly easy recovery. I was told that this would be much harder because of the amount of muscle being cut, but that this is fairly routine surgery and most people are back to work in 6-8 weeks. I haven't been able to find much information on just what to expect during the recovery (limitations, pain, etc.).

After reading some of the posts here, however, I'm now concerned that I'm rushing the surgery. MRIs revealed degenerative discs with some compression of the spinal cord at the levels listed above. I have a fair amount of pain and often feel as though I'm having a heart attack and am short of breath (after a heart cath back in April all concern about heart issues were laid to rest). My concern, however, is increasing numbness and weekness throughout back and legs. Physical therapy made the pain worse. Epidural and facet injections provided limited relief, but only for a few weeks. Although the pain, etc. is livable right now, I'm concerned that waiting until I'm truely dibilitated could result in permanent nerve damage (which is what happened when I waited too long to have the ACDF and I have permanent tingling down my left arm and hand). The neurosurgeon is one of the best in Central FL and has a reputation for not doing unnecessary surgeries. The pain doctor also said that there was little he could do to help and that anything he did would only be a bandaid and surgery was inevitable. That said, I haven't had many of the tests mentioned throughout many of the posts here.

So, am I rushing the surgery? If I do go through with it, what should I expect as far as what I can/can't do afterwards and for how long? All thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks from a newbie to this (or any) forum!