View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 08:15 PM

Default understanding pain

I honestly believe that one can dedicate their life to practicing pain management however unless one has suffered to the degree that many of us have and for a prolonged period of time not just able to get a surgery and relief and no more pain.. or have a very close family member suffering terribly~ I think that it's theoretical to say the least in how one practices.

Chronic or Intractable pain wraps itself around every fiber of one's being and invades every single second of how one interacts with life and other beings.

When I have a lot of pain I really don't like to be around anyone except my cats. Not even my dog as she requires walking. The cats on the other hand are old and very zen like. They know what to to do when in pain .. hide, retreat and rest.

Unfortunately I need opioid pain medication. Hmmm... well interestingly enough the "healthcare" system introduced me to opioid pain medication and I've been on the same dose, same drug now for 12 years. It's actually a very cheap drug. No wonder WC (future med benefits) doesn't squawk too much re pulling my benefits (they've tried over the last 7 years or so). WC now only authorizes this medication for me and nothing else. No ESIs even tho I did well with them.

I'm sorry to hear anyone is treated less than adequately for their pain esp after perhaps being treated adequately and experiencing what is known as physiologic dependency. It's a drag to be taken off of something that works or to be reduced to a dosage that doesn't work. Just doesn't make sense with regard to the Oath that PM as a entity claims to treat.

Then again I am not keeping current with what the DEA is doing with regard to vigilance of PMs practices... that might be what's the drive behind people being able to practice the way they really think is right. Oh yes and of course let us not forget insurance BS. Ughhh.. Big nasty factor in any practice of medicine (any field) these days.