View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 01:26 PM

Default Severe pain - Cervical MRI Report, thoughts/suggestions?

Below is my recent MRI report. I've had moderate to severe neck pain for quite some time now. Chiropractor visits yielded minimal relief. Doctor recommends surgery to remove portions of the 2 discs impinging on the nerves. Thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated. Currently on my 2nd 10 day prescription of vicodin which does work, but only 4 hours at a time, as I was told it would. I work at a dual-screen computer setup 10 hours a day and it is very painful by the time the afternoon rolls around. My quality of life is greatly impacted due to the pain and inability to do things like baseball and football with my 2 sons. Help!

MRI- CERVICAL

Clinical Indication: Chronic neck pain

Technique: Using a Hitachi 0.3 tesla open air magnet sagittal T1, T2, and axial T2 sequences were performed of the cervical spine, No contrast was administered for this exam.

No previous studies are available for comparison.

FINDINGS: There is mild reversal of the normal cervical lordosis. The vertebral body heights are maintained. There is no signal abnormality within the cervical spinal cord. The paraspinal soft tissues are unremarkable. The patient has slightly shorter pedicles then average which does diffusely narrow AP diameter of the canal.

C2-C3: There is no significant disc displacement, central canal stenosis, or neural foraminal narrowing. There is prominent asymmetric right-sided uncovertebral joint hypertrophy (see sagittal image 5).

C3-C4: There is no significant disc displacement, central canal stenosis, or left neural foraminal narrowing. There is asymmetric right-sided uncovertebral joint hypertrophy which combines with disc material to mildly attenuate the proximal neural foramen. There is minimal left uncovertebral joint hypertrophy.

C4-C5: There is no significant disc displacement, central canal stenosis, or left neural foraminal narrowing, There is mild right uncovertebral joint hypertrophy which mildly attenuates the right neural foramen.

C5-C6: There is mild loss of disc space height. There is a broad-based posterior disc bulge which is eccentric to the left minimally indenting the left ventral cord. There is also a left foraminal disc herniation with mild to moderate left foraminal narrowing. Disc osteophyte formation mild to moderately attenuates the right neural foramen.

C6-C7: There is a moderate to large left posterior paracentral disc extrusion with severe impingement on the left anterior lateral recess (see sagittal image 8 and axial image 19). Disc osteophyte formation moderate to severely attenuates the left neural foramen. There is moderate right foraminal attenuation with a suspected tiny right foraminal disc extrusion.

C7-T1: There is no significant disc displacement or central canal stenosis. There is bilateral uncovertebral joint hypertrophy. The foramina are not well evaluated.

IMPRESSION: Loss of mild reversal of the normal cervical lordosis

At C6/C7 there is a moderate to large left posterior paracentral disc extrusion with significant impingement on left anterolateral recess. Moderate to severe foraminal attenuation is also noted. .

At C5/C6 there is a small left. foraminal disc extrusion/herniation and bilateral mild to moderate foraminal attenuation

At C2/C3 and C3/C4 there is asymmetric right-sided uncovertebral joint hypertrophy