View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 04:59 PM

Default re advice

Judy,
I'd recommend to contact your surgeon again and if he doesn't respond your neurologist. I 'd also recommend using a cane with the 4 prongs because the potential for a fall or actual fall in no way could help you and may make something else worse. As you build up a bit with a cane or even a walker you may increase your strength and balance.

I have had a horrific flare up that lasted about a week so far and most of it spent in bed. I was hugging the walls to get up and getting off and on the toilet was nearly intolerable due to the amount of low to mid back pain. I swear I've not had a flare up like this in AGES!

Meanwhile in order to walk my dog which was a challenge as she pulls quite a bit I had to use a golf stick (also because of coyotes) and I used the head for the handle like a cane and the actual handle has a rubberized material on it and makes for a very steady walking type stick. I leaned on it heavily and used it for support when I had to pick up Lola's excrement as I couldn't bend from the waist without horrible spasms or even squat down for fear of not being able to get up because of the pain.

So case in point it helped me to use the golf club (putter) like a walking stick/cane.

With your symptoms I'd want to try and see as many practitioners as I could until someone could figure out what's going on sooner than later other than supposed weakness due to all the surgeries and some neurodeficit or neurogenic type of situations (hence neurology visit).

Good luck and take care~ Maria