View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 12:35 PM

Default advice needed first post

Hi and Welcome
I agree w/Judy re MRIs sometimes stating things in a manner that would appear nothing much should be bothering one or not so much and the reality is quite different in terms of pain. I also suggest seeing a good spine surgeon.

If your spine situation isn't Workers Comp and you have an HMO you are pretty limited in who you can see w/o paying cash. I'd definitely switch to a PPO if able to. The only thing is you will still be limited to surgeons within a network and if you go out of network you'll pay probably at least a 40% of the costs.

Can you find out what spine surgeons would be in a PPO plan that you might be able to obtain and then see if you can switch to that plan? Or would you want to pay cash for consultations while you're in an HMO?

Do you want to see a Neurosurgeon or an Orthopedic Surgeon or both for opinions?

My last spine surgery consults were in 2006 and I saw Rick De La Marter (sp) in Santa Monica, John Regan (think he was at Cedars) and Frank Coufal in San Diego.

The first two surgeons mentioned are orthopedic spine surgeons and the last one is a Neurosurgeon. I decided not to have more spine surgery (had 2 discectomies back in '89 and 92).

Good luck and keep us posted! Maria