View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 05:06 AM

Default re the Toradol shot

you can tell whoever that a few people with back problems said they got that for spasms and it helped almost immediately. I've told you and I could refer you to another website where almost everyone there with a back prob gets a shot of Toradol now and again for spasms.

My husband's back was bothering him really badly last week for the first time in 15 years and he could hardly move. I told him to go to Urgent care and ask for a shot of Toradol which he did and he got it and it worked right away for him. He felt much better and could move more freely and then he got a script for a muscle relaxer to take every 8 hours for 2 days (Sat and Sun since he wasn't working) which helped him quite a bit. Some people have to take the muscle relaxers every 4-6 hours or however prescribed but regularly for about a week in order to break up a really bad cycle though usually the Toradol works well for most people even with really messed up spines like mine.

I was RN, Family Nurse Practitioner so while I'm not a physician I did see patients in ambulatory care as an NP and some of my recommendations come partly from this yet mostly from my own spine patient experience of the last 30 years.

The doctor may offer oral Toradol but I think the shot is much more effective as do most people I know that have had it. Like yourself many of the oral muscle relaxers haven't worked that well for me but then again I didn't like taking them regularly because the biggest effect they seemed to have on me was making me super tired. I have never felt this way with a Toradol injection and usually I feel immediate relief and can keep on functioning.

Asking for a Toradol injection isn't like going in and asking for shot of Morphine or Dilaudid or strong narcotic medicine. Most doctors are Ok with a patient asking for this although some patients medical history may be a reason that it wouldn't be given. One must have good kidney function to get this medicine and the biggest risk with overuse either oral or otherwise with it is kidney damage. It may help to state you've tried Flexeril and that hasn't helped you much (although there are many oral muscle relaxers to try).

Good luck.

Last edited by Maria; 07-18-2013 at 05:09 AM.