View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 03:14 PM

Default re referral

Good re the T-shot and re the referral my Orthopedic Spine Surgeon is in his 60's and is doing ADR surgery too. I don't think he was into it as early as some of the younger guys but he got into it because it's been around a while now and is FDA approved. Sometimes some of the older guys pick up the newer techniques as well to stay competitive or may have a younger partner that is doing that type of surgery.

Even with HMOs you have the right to ask for a 2nd surgical opinion. Some will tell you that you do not but that isn't true. If there is no one in the HMO that is within a reasonable distance to you than you can request to see someone of your choice that is and go thru the process of trying to get that authorized. What I don't like about HMOs is that whomever works for them is pretty much ruled by HMO system in terms of how to proceed. I mean almost strictly by logarithm (sp). I'm not saying there aren't good surgeons in some HMOs but they are so bound by procedure according to how the HMO dictates they proceed.

Anyway everything now goes thru Peer Review or Utilization Review or something that takes decisions almost out of the surgeon's hands re insurance companies. It can be a real uphill battle in some circumstances to get a surgery authorized and in others not. I guess we'll see how things go for you and I do hope you will find this referral informative and helpful. Please excuse my HMO bashing. I guess you can tell I'm not a fan of managed care but I do not mean to rain on your parade.

Don't ever let the HMO talk you into seeing someone that is in the same office as a 2nd surgical opinion because you want an unbiased 2nd surgical opinion and that comes from someone that is not in the same office or practice.

Last edited by Maria; 07-20-2013 at 03:22 PM.