View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Administrator

IMHO, properly implanted in a properly selected patient, any of the current crop of ADR's will likely be a success. The opposite is also true... improperly implanted or in an improperly selected patient, any will fail.

Because of what what I've seen in handling over 1,000 cases now, I have been converted to a 'stationary core' guy. There are trade offs with all the significant features of all the devices, but I've seen too many 'mobile core' problems and the impact of these issues are magnified and complicated in multi-level procedures.

Also, in my travels, I've also seen more m6's needing to be removed than I have of any of the other discs. This is remarkable because the number of m6 cases is small compared to the others. Having said that, I don't lay that on the doorstep of the device, most of the explant revisions I know of are not device issues, but either implantation errors or unique complications related to other health issues of the patient.

There are also trade offs between the maturity of or the experience with the designs and materials providing a huge unknown.

Just my 2 cents, but I'll reiterate... properly implanted in a properly selected patient (this is quite a large caveat!), they are all good.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org