View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 03:29 PM

Default Paraplegic with osteomyelitis

Hello everyone
this is my first time on ispine forum, I hope someone can give me an answer or opinion.
My brother is a 50 year old T11 complete paraplegic, 5 years post injury, after experiencing leg cramps and lower back main for several months he went to an Orthopedic Dr. who ordered an MRI, the results showed that he had Osteomye litis in his spine and that it had completely destroyed his L5 vertebrae. Because he is paralyzed he could not feel the pain that a non-paraplegic would feel, the infection control Dr's and the Neuro Surgeon decided the best plan of treatment was to do a needle biopsy, culture it and treat with IV antibiotics for 8 weeks, incidentally the culture came back negative, but, going with the MRI results and an elevated CRP and Sed.rate results we did 8 weeks of IV antibiotics using a broad spectrum antibiotic. on friday the last day of treatment another MRI was done it showed the Osteomyelitis has spread to his L3, L4 and S1 vertebrae, he has had no symptoms no fever chills or anything, his White blood cell count is normal and even though his CRP and sed.rate levels are elevated they are not through the roof. The Neuro surgeon still does not want to operate because eventhough the MRI looks bad he feels at this point surgery is too much of a risk. we are in the Orlando area and would like to know if anyone else has had this diagnosis and can recommend someplace where we can go for a second opinion. We will appreciate any help we can get, Thank you all.