View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 12:44 AM

Default re what you wrote

Hey Judy,
I had wondered about doing spine surgery on someone such as myself with moderate osteoporosis (that was at the last DEXA scan). I didn't think it would be a good idea for myself and since my 2nd spine surgery failure I have been extremely cautious with regard to the idea of more surgery. Then again if it's necessary then one must do what one must do.

I would wonder why your surgeon didn't think of the cement for fractures before you did. He sounds very reluctant to go back in and do more surgery on you esp. if he states what he did with regard to not wanting to do this type of surgery on his wife, mother or sister if they were in your shoes. I always ask that question to see what the surgeon says.

Anyway it's good that you're able to be up and about more though do be careful. I know when my Dad had his spinal fractures and he had only 2 I believe he was very limited in what he could do with regard to the pain. I felt so bad for him because as old as he was (87 then I believe) he'd never experienced pain like that before except when he had kidney stones and he was just miserable. The fractures did heal within about 2 months I think but he also didn't have any hardware in his back but he did have EXTREME DDD thru out his spine and severe osteoporosis.

Oh with regard to the tendon thing.. I had SUPER SEVERE pain with my posterior tibial tendons bilaterally at the same time! I could not put my feet on the ground even at first and crawled to the bathroom. I mean it was horrible for about 2-4 weeks the first episode. Now it's freaking chronic and I hate this stuff but I do not have footdrop. I had that starting before I had my L5S1 discectomy done.

Ok wishing you the best and hoping the foot drop will recover and the pain will subside as the fractures hopefully heal. If not the cement sounds like a good idea to me if there aren't some serious risks involved.

take care and good to hear from you~ Maria