View Single Post
Old 05-06-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Sacroiliac Joint Fusion

Hi,

I was really intrested in the post about prolotherapy and sacroiliac issues, but thought I would be better to start a new thread as my focus is much more on fusing the joint - which I'm due to have in June.

This will be part of a surgery on 4 different bits of my spine (see my sig).
I met with my surgeon on Thursday to agree future plan. While I knew we would be discussing all the other elements of the surgery, I hadn't expected his suggestion to fuse my SI too. (Although he had said it was an option to do this in the future after it failed to improve after injections). What this meant was that although I'd pretty thoroughly researched the rest of the surgery and asked him loads of questions, I hadn't read up much about SI joint fusion.

Since then I have started to learn more about it and a lot of what I've seen is less than positive. I know I need to do more reading about this, but am really interested to know experiences of anyone on this forum who has had their SI fused.

My SI joints have caused me a lot of problems over the years, particularly the right one, which is a definite part of my current pain profile. None of the usual more conservative treatments have significantly impacted on it and I was certainly concerned about it continuing to cause problems after the rest of the surgery. I think this is why I agreed to it at the meeting on thursday. It was only afterwards that I realised I'd just agreed without knowing enough about it! As I am having my facet joints checked out for the ADR in 10 days, I will be able to talk more about it with the surgeon. But obviously want to do so from a deeper knowledge base.

Really hope others on this forum will be able to share their perspectives with me.

Thanks for reading this.
‘87 Sclerosant injections
2000 Spinal fusion L4/5 L5/S1 – left with internal nerve damage: permanent leg Pain & impaired mobility.
2/04 Acute episode became new baseline - Housebound & severe pain
6/06 Discogram +ve L3/4,L1/2. + SI joint problem.
10/07 ADR L3/4 (Active L) Dr Zeegers - no impact at all