View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by housemd89 View Post
Totally agree, it doesn't help when you have different doctors telling you different things. They seem all too happy to just throw painkillers at you.

What's wrong with your back?
Nothing that major in comparison to some on here. Long story so I will try and condense it down to a brief outline.

Early 40s, was first signs of problems, really minor stuff, bit stiff from time to time etc.

46, developed problem with hip that was causing problems with my hillwalking/climbing. Seen loads of DRs/physios, every diagnosis was different.

47, After a sneezing fit developed massive hip pain, never had pain like it, so bad I got the doctor to do a home visit, he phoned ambulance, xrays at hospital showed nothing, had to wait a few days for an MRI that showed slipped disc at L4-L5 squashing the L4 nerve. Things continued to get worse for a couple of weeks, lots of pain, lots of numbness but it was the motor loss and atrophy that prompted surgery. Went in for surgery, pre op examination surgeon noted murmur in patella reflex that had been absent a week earlier. Decided not to operate on the grounds that I may self heal, and self healing would be a millions times better than anything surgery could do.
Another 3 months before pain free, but as long as 2 years to loose numbness and regain a good level of fitness.
Lots of cycling, lots of pilates.
Never got back to my hill walking but could easily cycle 50 - 100 mile in a day.

52 (15 months ago) started to be bothered with buttock pain in other leg, almost certainly due to S1 nerve contact by bulging disc at the lumber sacral (LS) junction (this had showed up on MRI 5 years ago but was not causing any problems then) Another MRI was done and showed no change in the bulging disc at LS but improvements in the disc at L4 L5 So plenty of reasons why left leg was better, but no explanation as to worsening situation with right leg

Next 12 months were awful, problems sitting and walking, lots of mild pain, even cycling more than 5 miles was becoming a major day out. In a straight leg test could not lift right leg more than 5 degrees.

June this year, woke up one morning with massive pain, numb heel and little toe, awful calf pain. Dr says it's a classic LS herniation. 6 weeks of utter hell, but now pain free for the first time in 15 months, numbness mostly gone, still very scared and spend a good part of the day lying down (hence my internet activity) I have started up with my pilates and doing a fair bit of cycling (done a 40 miler last week) In a straight leg test can achieve > 45° and limited by hamstring rather than nerve pain.

Last edited by theBadCormorant; 10-17-2013 at 11:50 PM.