View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 AM

Default re PT

In the US before anything is done surgically usually insurance will require a trial of PT before moving on to authorizing other types of more invasive treatment. Myself PT was never that helpful for my spine except with my SI joint stuff and even then it took one PT out of a number to treat my injury really well and it's difficult to find that "one" person. I think core exercises are definitely key but there are some things that one will find that aggravate or flare a bad disc up so you kind of have to work with what doesn't flare things up.

If you do go to PT don't let anyone push you if your spine starts hurting.. stop doing whatever makes things hurt because you can worsen the situation so be careful with that. I think you could probably work out your own exercise regime on your own though again if you see a doctor and are considering surgery then you will likely have to go thru a course of PT and it will have to fail before anything more invasive surgically would be recommended. PT might be helpful to you though again don't let anyone push you when your back hurts more because it's probably not going to make it better and might make it worse. A little pain when first beginning is normal if you're out of shape but nothing that really aggravates that disc which is far too easy to do.

An ESI might be very helpful and I would reconsider this. I had ESIs over a 10 year period of time and was able to avoid more surgery. They don't work for everyone but when they do work they're pretty awesome.

If you develop the following get seen ASAP(emergency): loss of bowel or bladder function (incontinence), numbness in the saddle area (perineum), numbness or loss of use of your extremity, extreme unrelenting pain that isn't alleviated with any method of treatment such as rest, etc.

Good luck with everything and keep us updated if you feel like it~ Maria

Last edited by Maria; 11-07-2013 at 06:58 AM.