Thread: Fitness??
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 05:11 PM

Default re lifting weights

I haven't been able to do this for a while now because of a cervical bulge that I have (my guess). I am not able to lift my arms at shoulder height or above my head repetitively and some of the machines I used in the past for various upper body musculature just really flare me up neck wise so I've just given up trying to use weights. I do some arm related exercises at times but not regularly because I seen to exacerbate my cervical "condition" and get spasms that totally lock my head up in one position. When last I saw a Neurosurgeon re my neck and had an MRI done (2006 I guess) there was nothing to do surgically (thankfully). I've not consulted with anyone again because when I lock up now I get a shot of Toradol 60mg IM and that loosens me up right away.

I do sleep with a cervical pillow and I try to be careful of the lifting and other activities I do re my neck and back. I'm not always so good at that but then again I live alone so I have do my own stuff all the time like carrying in kitty litter, groceries, etc.

Also I'm nearly 60 now so I've had years of adapting to a lifestyle that is more limited. When I was 28 and injured re my spine it was slowing down a bullet train... I didn't understand when the doctor would say I could "take a walk" he didn't mean for 2 hours thru Golden Gate park rather 10 minutes maybe as tolerated. Duh... live and learn which I did over and over and over...

My general health is pretty good as I've remained fairly slender thru the years and I always tried to be doing some form of exercise like walking or whatever I could do without hurting or flaring myself up.

Good luck. I'd say get a good idea of what 's really going on in your body and then work your plan around it to stay fit and active as best you're able. A good dietary plan really has helped me over the years even if I couldn't be nearly as active as my younger years.