View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 01:13 PM

Default re coccyx pain

When I had this and I had it a good long time from when I was in my late 20's with flare ups from low back injury to a chronic condition after 2nd failed back surgery... (it was gone for about a year after my L5S1 discectomy) anyway it was one of the worst pains I experienced because it so limited my sitting to nothing and seemed like all movements aggravated it! I felt like my tailbone was severely bruised, sometimes broken or just terribly horribly sore. It was never broken.. never bruised...

I went to a number of consultations regarding this pain and for the most part was told I had nothing explainable or it was part of arachnoiditis post my 2nd failed discectomy at L4 however the explanation that made the most sense to me although I don't know if it is actually accurate or not was:

I had scar tissue on a either a left or right sacral nerve root.. all sacral nerves exit the same way and are clumped together so pain signals just sort of went crazy in that area and hence the explanation for this pain.

Eventually after 12 years of taking Neurontin, 10 years of getting lumbar ESIs, 5years of low dose opioid medication, some earlier excellent PT for about a year or two (early 2000s).. this pain sort of went away. I eventually was able to stop taking Neurontin, haven't had an ESI for about 3 years now (not authorized anymore) and I can sit a fair amount longer though still have probs with L4 so not that long...

I hope you will find a way to get relief much quicker than I did. It seemed like back when I had this going on any diagnosis or treatment was still in the dark ages. I hope there's been significant improvement in both in the last 14 years! Good luck! Maria