View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal View Post
good eye... I noticed that too. Actually, it's not something I just noticed; I was trying to decipher the firing order and saw that their animator missed it.

Hey, even when firing on all cylinders, big radials feel rough. Out of my 850 skydives, I imagine that 150-200 were from DC-3's or C47's. It's pretty cool to ride to altitude and realize that you are flying in a plane that was built in the 30's and likely carried American troops in WWII.
I was curious about the firing order too and that is how I picked up on it. (have worked as a diesel/truck mechanic so always a little fascinated by engines)

Radial engines always sound very rough, a very distinctive sound. Different engine configurations all seem to have their own very distinctive sound, from the smoothness of the V8 to the rattle of a radial 7... although my favourite sounding engine as to be the Deltic

I am curious about the radials, how are they lubricated, presumably some sort of dry sump but how does the engine scavenge the oil back out of the engine. Used engine oil s just going to fill the lower two cylinders and is that why they are smoky when they fire up ?

Last edited by theBadCormorant; 01-21-2014 at 12:52 AM.