Thread: Update on Me
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 05:26 PM

Default Update on Me

Hi all,
I have not been on here in a while, i think depression was the cause . I am better now. I don't even know if i posted after my Sept 2013 surgery. I had an anterior attempt to fuse my lumbar from L2 -L5. It didn't go too well with more spinal fractures , then i had one in every level some caused by me, unknowingly and some by the surgery . My doc did not let me out of bed at all in the hospital and then kept me in bed for 6 weeks post op. He only recently let me do the normal daily activities. I am hoping i can attend physical therapy after my next visit on March 4th. I need to get something stronger.
since the surgery i have had 2 sets of spinal injections which have now relieved a ton of my pain. I also had kyphoplasty in Dec to repair my 4 lumbar fractures so now bumps on the road are not as dreaded for pain. Most all of my pain is gone as of today as i just had the spinal injections last thursday and again they are doing a great job.

I did develop drop foot moments before my sept surgery and had an EMG pointing to my L4 and L5 nerves which are both severly inflammed. The problem is my MRi is not showing any compression and my foot has not improved at all. I miss wearing my flip flops terribly!

I am still walking very hunched over. I was just diagnosed with osteoporosis after having osteopenia for years. Not good for my hunched overness.
I also just went for a follow up with a pulmonologist and found out my lung capacity went from 70% to only 43%. He blames my back and my inability to stand up right. This concerns me terribly. It is not necessarily painful to walk that way, just very tiring and embarrassing. I hear people talking about me behind my back now it is that bad. I was hoping my bone density had gotten better and i could talk to my surgeon about trying to straighten me out.

I have gone on a short hike 3 times in the last month. I am such a fall risk, i don't want to go alone and don't know anyone except my busy son to go with me. I have one friend who went 2 weeks ago , but i don't think she can handle the slow pace. But i must start exercising. Hiking is the best as i can use my 2 hiking poles to hold me somewhat up right. One cane is not as good walking on a paved path. I did have a mishap and fall flat on my back into a stream on my second attempt which made us turn around. I could not get myself up at all and needed the help of my son and a nice man who saw me fall.

That is kind of my update. i may have more to say when i see my doc next week. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this. I guess i should put in some statistics as i have not updated my signature.I have now had 11 spinal surgeries and am fused or trying to fuse from C4 thru L5. Not much left.

Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot