Thread: Update on Me
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 PM

Default re update

Hi Judy,
Good to read your update even though some of it isn't too good and some is pretty darn good (the pain free part). The osteopenia to osteoporosis part.. I went there a while back now. I've been getting Prolia injections for that 2x/year. My BMD improved a tiny bit more or rather it appears it improved in my back but worsened in my hip!

I would imagine your lung capacity is affected by your posture. I hope getting out and walking does help you. I would love to offer to walk with you however since I'm not close I cannot and it seems for now my feet prevent me from doing anything more than just a quick bit of shopping and even then if I can use one of those electric carts I will because I've had such bad problems with my posterior tibial tendonitis flaring up.

In fact I've been on a Medrol Dose pack and today is the last day. Supposed to be off my feet for 4 weeks as much as possible. This is week 2 and I'm nearly stir crazy with the lack of activity but then again when my feet are painful oh boy are they bad!

I've been going to PT for my feet in Seal Beach and it does seem to be helping. I still am looking for some alternative methods to be out and about and still off my feet such a mobility scooter, electric bike, etc.

Hmmm.. this aging stuff is getting kind of rough huh?!

Has your doctor prescribed anything for the osteoporosis? I am taking VitD 5000 IU/day faithfully as that's really low for me too and I wasn't really being compliant with that while getting the first 2 doses of Prolia. I think I have one more (if the prescribed treatment is for 2 years). I'm really glad to read you've gotten so much relief pain wise. I know it must be difficult to hear people talk about you behind your back while you're walking but just in case they are wondering how your back got that way or what's wrong with it maybe you'll feel like indulging some inquisitiveness with a reply and that may help educate people and shut them up (the latter in case anyone was being an arse about it)! Would probably surprise a person if you turned around and started talking! My Dad used to get that with how bent his spine was in that S type of fashion although his hearing was impaired so he didn't hear people but he knew they were talking about him. He used to tell them he had very bad osteoporosis (tho he had bad kyphosis and extreme DDD as well). I think some people were surprised that could even affect a male (general population not people with medical background).

Ok meanwhile I hope other things are Ok for you. Again, good to hear from you! Maria

Last edited by Maria; 02-25-2014 at 09:07 PM.