View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 04:10 AM

Question 6 months post op- still in pain, Please help

Hello,
I haven't posted on here for awhile, but I have been reading. Here is a quick recap: I had suffered from debilitating headaches and neck/shoulder pain with Neuropathy for over 2 years. Finally I had the C5 C6 level Replaced with Pro Disc-C in September but have 3 other herniated disc with bone spurs that still need to be addressed.
I thought things were going well, was even able to cut back from 12 pain pills in 24 hrs to 6 or 7. But that is where it stopped. I was still in quite a bit of pain but it was controlled on the 6-7 Pain pills a day, ice and heat packs and stretching. I managed to graduate from the University, Cum Laude and get into my first choice of Grad School, which started in January. All while working, raising two daughters and healing. I thought I was doing well.
3 weeks ago my Neurosurgeon says they can no longer treat me until I come back for another ADR in 18-24 months due to their policy and that my PCP will have to take over my medication. I am very close with my PCP but he did not want to fill the meds they had me on so he switched me to something else and it doesn't even touch my pain. I have had to take 3 days off of work this week due to the pain. I can't sleep more than 3-4 hours and I can barely move my neck to the left and my shoulder is killing me. I just woke up from a 3 hour sleep and threw up due to the pain.
I know as a PCP he is uncomfortable writing these Rx's, so yesterday I called and spoke to his nurse for a Referral to a civilian Pain Management and Rehabilitation clinic. I get all of my care through the VA and he told me when he took over my meds that the VA Pain Clinic will not take new patients that are already on narcotic pain meds. What the Heck? Isn't that what they are there for?
I am sorry to rant but I am so frustrated and do not know what to do. I am posting here for any suggestions on how to get into a Pain clinic? I am so upset that they had me on dose of meds that allowed to work and be active with my family and now all that has been taken away from me, I am only 35 years old. Why do they make it so difficult to get the meds you need? I have never ran out early and asked for an early fill, I do not drink and I do not sell my meds, I take them. I am just at a lose as to why they would change something that was working.
Any Advice would be greatly appreciated. I am sure that their are many Spinies that have been down this road. Thank you for reading.
AJ

Last edited by ajspine; 03-27-2014 at 04:13 AM.