View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 10:35 PM

Default Reply to questions

Would this stop the degeneration of my spine to other levels?
actually no. No surgery (but fusion, which eliminates any mobile function) can keep a segment from aging.
But: an ADR can no longer age. And the facets as the mobile junction left would be realigned and supported by the implants. So there is reason that their aging is reduced as compared to what you have now (hypercompression by lack of disc height, unphysiological movements).
Degeneration of the segments ABOVE the implants however is a relevant issue: This should not be influenced by the surgery suggested by Prof. Dr. Bertagnoli. Because it is motion-preserving. The adjacent segmetns would however be heavily overloaded and be prone to degenerate faster-than-normal in an alternative fusion. This is one of the core reasons why Prof. Dr. Bertagnoli recommends and takes the efforts to go non-fusion even in an extent case like yours.

Could i be pain free?
Very unlikely, this just is no realistic goal (at least not without pain meds):.
Could i began to get some activity back in my life? Sports?
This is a realistic goal in Prof. Dr. Bertagnoli`s view. (not competitive martial arts etc., of course).
With the coflex-f in situ for 2+ years, plus the severe degeneration for so long before, what are the odds of auto-fusion.
No realistic, we never have seen this happen
How long is the recovery?
recovery is very individual, and this can be a prognosis based on experience: we`d expect you to be up on day one, mobile in a hotel setting to care for yourself at app day 6-8 after the second surgery. Sitting is allowed immediately, but not comfortable expectedly for 2-3 weeks for a prolonged time. Which limits driving. Light exercise like swimming and walking or light work-out: start at week 4-6. For heavy manual labor, or sports with a higher risk of trauma wait 3-4 months to give your bone ample time to integrate your implants even in extreme mechanical loads.

Now what

Gil
L4-L5 Annular fissure with mild central stenosis and moderate facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1DDDDD
L2-L3 Right-sided neural foraminal narrowing at and L3-L4 related to posterolateral hypertrophic spurs and facet hypertrophy.
C3-C4 limited DDD
9 injections Depo. P.T. 13 months 5 dose packs,
Nerve Block Injections.4 ESI S1
L5-S1 foraminotomy 09
L4-L5 Microdiscectomy 09 Reherniate 4-2010
Coflex-L Implants L4 to S1