Thread: Update on Me
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 02:32 PM

Default re rehab

I beg to differ on rehab hospital =SNF=Nursing Home. A rehab hospital or facility stay is something that a physician and other qualified health care professionals consider for the patient if the patient lives alone or has very little to no help with recovering and the recovery will benefit by the assistance of a rehab staff and stay. Plenty of younger than the very elderly go to rehab hospitals for recoveries especially for orthopedic related surgical recoveries if there is no one to help them thru the early stages of a difficult recovery and if there is insurance that covers the stay. I believe that today there are many SNF units that may be another part of the rehab hospital facility but not because everyone will make the progression from rehab to SNF etc.

I worked in a rehab hospital in Virginia. It may have been some time ago but one thing I noticed when my father was in a 5 star rehab post an emergency stomach surgery back in 2009 was that the services provided were much better, better organized, way more comprehensive and had excellent qualified staff to help with recovery.

It was very difficult for me to deal with myself the first few days post bunion surgery believe it or not but thinking about caring for myself after a major surgery like repair of posterior tibial tendon I believe I would need to stay in a rehab facility at least the first week.

If one can recover at home of course by all means that's the way to go. My question was posed to Judy out of concern re recovery at home if the surgery/recovery warrants it. I didn't mean to insult you Judy if you took it that way.

Last edited by Maria; 05-15-2014 at 09:57 PM.