Thread: Update on Me
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 06:25 PM

Default absolutely

re the questions Mark. Rehab facilities used to be part of the hospital but it seems there is greater $ to be made to often design them as a separate entity w/ rehab, SNF and maybe Alzheimer related unit facility. I'm guessing this has to do with a better way to make $ (be reimbursed) for these services then again I'm not sure about that so just talking about the topic may prompt me to see if that is a major factor in the facility concept and design.

If one has the insurance that would cover the services and choice is an option than by all means pick the one that is the best based on careful questioning and scrutiny.

There are rehab facilities out there that are crappy and those that are OK and those that excellent. I was so fortunate that both of my parents were able to go into a 5 star facility when it was needed. Mom broke her pelvis when she was 80 and made such an incredible recovery she was released short of 3 weeks to PT at home and Home health nursing as needed. I flew in to help with her care but realistically I wasn't in any shape to actually help with anything but vacuuming, dusting, preparing meals and doing dishes! Dad was less prepared for all that!

My father's rehab experience was truly amazing because he suffered a volvulus and had emergency stomach surgery when he was 87~ he went from weighing 124lbs to weighing 100 lbs after 2 weeks in the hospital. I was there every day most of the day (hospital) and went every day the first 3 weeks of his rehab stay to which the staff told me to fly back home as I was hindering his recovery (he wanted to wait for me, listen to me, depend on me).. they really were quite incredible as I witnessed first hand even though I truly had reservations that no one was as astute as me in terms of what I thought my father needed and when. Truly I didn't know all the great stuff that was available for all kinds of things that can happen while one is basically falling apart at the seams physically and needs a complete rehab job (in his case due to terribly weakened condition, extreme osteoporosis, severe DDD, crazy f'ing lymphedema condition in his right leg, hypertension, his cardio pulmonary status etc... yada yada (or is yadda yadda)?

Yep.. the range of excellence is there just like in almost all aspects of healthcare!

Being alone as I am I have to look at these options just like any other part of a healthcare related decision.

Last edited by Maria; 05-15-2014 at 10:01 PM.