View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 08:03 AM

Default post L4/5 discectomy

I had a big open discectomy at L5S1 back in '89 and my recovery by about the 3rd week was steadily getting better but I wouldn't say I was walking 2 miles/day although I was increasing my upright time and walking progressively yet at a steady pace with my healing.

Had a percutaneous discectomy at L4 back in '92 and had more probs with that recovery and I do remember weakness and unsteadiness of both legs, feeling weak in knees and (not sure which as had 2 surgeries on rt knee in between back surgeries) and some foot issues like burning in the soles.. all of which were there pretty far into my recovery and then worse symptoms starting around the 2nd week (a whole host of stuff not worth mentioning but that lingered for a number of years hence considered a failed surgery).

I'm thinking you're still pretty fresh into recovery at 3 weeks and walking 2 miles a day might be a bit much for you at this point. Are you walking this all at one time or breaking it up into 2 to 4 walks a day? You might consider reducing the walks a bit and building up your endurance a bit and also using a cane or walking stick if you're not already doing so for support at least until you see your surgeon.

You may still have some inflammation around the nerve that is causing you to feel weak in that knee and perhaps feel the tenderness at your ankle (or you could have other things causing those symptoms like an actual knee or tendon prob of the involved ankle. If it's inflammation as a response to recent surgery symptoms should eventually go away although you may want to just reduce your walking a bit and build up your exercise tolerance a bit slower while you heal at the surgical area. Could be also you'll be better able to differentiate what symptoms the stenosis might be causing in the future (if any) post the discectomy healing.

Good luck and let us know how you progress and what your surgeon has to say about things if symptoms persist.

Maria

Last edited by Maria; 05-28-2014 at 08:05 AM.