View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 07:25 PM

Default good advice Vicki

I appreciate that input Vicki. I remember having a big open discectomy on L5S1 and being advised to recover slowly and at my pace which I did and things worked out pretty well (until disc later re bulged and after L4 bulged).

When I had what was then termed "bandaid" back surgery in '92 and was percutaneous discectomy at L4 I was basically told I could pretty much be on my feet right away and back to work in 2 weeks. In fact in the recovery room I got up to use the bathroom and my bed was given away and I had to sit in the waiting room post surgery for my ride which the nurses at the time said "that's fine."

I don't think it was nor do I think the lack of information regarding recovery was fine either and I had a failed back surgery which really was a nightmare in epic proportions.

Needless to say what I firmly believe is take it slow and easy re recovery because the idea is to go for the long haul not the short term recovery. I know ADR is different than discectomies and fusions but really the work is done in the same area and it is surgery of a significant magnitude. btw I had been working and working out (mildly but pretty much at least 3-5x/week prior to my 2nd spine surgery so I was not inactive by any means). While I think having a "virgin spine" is a definite attribute for surgery I do think sometimes it's just the way the ball bounces with how one responds to surgery. That is even counting a wonderful surgeon such as Dr. Zeegers. Pretty much however I'm talking about the patient's part in the recovery process.

Wishing Karger continued progressively great recovery

Last edited by Maria; 07-12-2014 at 07:29 PM.