Thread: Kaiser?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 04:54 PM

Default Kaiser OK, finances scary

I see that this is an old thread, but--
I've just within the last month discovered how bad my spine is, what surgery is likely involved, and what the recovery time is likely to be.

I was a Kaiser patient over 30 years ago and I couldn't wait to get out. I signed up again about 5 years ago and it has been a whole different place. I've always felt listened to and cared for and that I'm getting the best medical advice.

I am going outside Kaiser for 2nd, 3rd, whatever opinions, to be absolutely sure that I've got the best advice, because the proposed surgery in theory will require over a year of disability, and even if Kaiser covers most of those expenses, I don't know that I can live on disability, so on top of everything, I may have to move everything out of my house, find a cheap place to live (Silicon Valley! Ha!) and rent it out to keep from losing it.

This is all early in the process. Your discussion here gave me some other things to pursue.

BTW, at this time, this surgeon (Patrick Suen) is the regional spine surgery director, who's also involved in evaluating and incorporating new techniques. I haven't talked to him yet, but I plan to. My Doctor Online
*Trying acupuncture, chiro, cortisone epidurals, phys therapy, anything to stop pain and stabilize spine w/out surgery (on my list also to try: yoga)
*A shock to me--I'm healthy and active and not really that old and have had no injuries.

Last edited by elf; 07-31-2014 at 04:58 PM.