View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 07:31 AM

Hi Sheila,
I am the Judy Maria referred to. I thought I had flat back syndrome as I have all the symptoms. But it turns out my lumbar spine is in a kyphotic state, I think. I have had 11 spine surgeries and am totally fused. At this point there are problems in my lumbar spine as my surgeon has tried to fuse from the front and the back and do to ostroporosis the screws do not stay in. I have had some horrendous surgery's and now am all hunched over when I walk. I have a curve in my neck as I broke it once and it was all they could do to fix it. Then my back appears to be very straight.
I have had the same surgeon for most of the procedures. I went last year for a second opinion and was told to give me some alignment I would need a huge 10 hour surgery. I believe it was to be a long fusion from about T 10 (maybe up higher) to somewhere in the sacral area. It would be difficult for sure. is that what you are talking about? or is yours up higher do to scoliosis. I did have that surgery but it was in the last 5 years .

I was also very active and my life now in just a few years has gone from an obsessive long distance trail runner, to a hiker to shot hikes, to walks to nothing. I also developed foot drop from some very inflamed and damaged nerves in my lumbar area. After 10 months in a foot brace I had surgery for it in June. I have been in a cast and now a walking boot. I am using crutches which helps me walk a bit straighter. But I am really hunched over and look 90, and do not like it at all.

I am not sure if I can do anything but share stories with you and commiserate.
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot