View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 05:03 PM

Default 3 Years Post-Op - My 2nd "Birthday"

Hi guys,

I felt compelled to post that I'm now 3 years post-op from a 2 level Prodisc ADR.

Though I'm not "perfect", I will accept this life over the one I had leading up to this last surgery. Perhaps intermittent aches and pains are a "reminder" not to over do it. I don't know.

I can't believe the changes that have transpired since this back injury, but I will try to give the cliff notes version.

Where I've been:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-December 1999 - L5-S1 herniated disc with micro-d - "successful" and back to work in 6 weeks.

-September 2001 - Bulging disc at L4-L5 after lifting a patient from the bed to a CT table. Work comp "victim"...

-Tried every non-surgical intervention under the sun, minimal relief. I was given a lot of confusing advice - anything from "Here, your depressed - here is a Rx for an anti-depressant" ~To~ Lets schedule for a 2 level fusion next week.

-***Lots and Lots of research***

-November 2002 - Endoscopic discectomy in Munich, Germany. Little relief, not much. Back pain remained.

-Worsening pain and symptoms multiple visits to a variety of surgeons both ADR surgeons and fusion surgeons (Neuro & Ortho).

-October 2003 - Spiney Conference in California held by Mark and Dr. Bertagnoli. Met Dr. B. in person regarding spiney issues.

-May 2004 - 2 level ADR by Dr. Bertagnoli

-May 2004 - December 2004 - Recovery process and went through withdraw from Methadone. Took a couple months to feel "normalish".

-February 2005 - Back to work

-May 2005 - New York Spine Symposium - Venue organized by Mark and I think sponsored by the Viscolosi Brothers. - After speaking with them I was inspired to go for my MBA.

-June 2005 - Started MBA program

-June 2005 - May 2007 - Lots of studying and small improvements with the back and intermittent leg pain.

-June 2007 - Graduating with an MBA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have everyone to thank on the spine forums for my success with my recovery and where I am at today. You see, when I had injured my back at work (2nd back injury)and treated like a 2nd class citizen, I was not computer literate. We had bought a computer for Christmas of December 2001 and I'll bet it sat in the box for a good month before my husband and I decided to hook things up and stuff. This was due to a lack of interest, computer illiterate, and chronic pain issues.

I finally figured out how to operate the computer (with lots of help from my husband) enough to surf the internet and came across a spine forum. Probably within a couple weeks. The spineys there showed me how to post and what different abbreviations meant. I feel that I have just grown from there. Being an active member of the forums helped me to understand and identify the issues we are all going through. I'm not sure if I would have kept my sanity if I didn't have someone else to go to other than my husband who was burned out with the same story day after day....

I could go on, but I think I will stop here before it becomes an "information overload" type of post.

You all still inspire me and I hope that some how, some way each and every one of you will find relief or have their symptoms minimized from chronic pain issues.

Time to get ready for work....

Take care,
Poncho