Thread: Collapsed L5
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 11:41 PM

Default alternative therapy

I'm sorry I missed that part! As I mentioned I did not have more spine surgery post my 2nd discectomy which was in 1992. I was still working at the time until 2000.

While I was still working I basically went thru a number of courses of PT. I also had what is called low velocity manipulations/treatment by Osteopathic doctors. I tried Acupuncture without too much success. I did very limited yoga positions for about 4 years that helped as well as the Core building exercises I learned in PT.

When I stopped working in 2000 I started Pain Management in 2001 and getting lumbar Epidural Steroid treatments and daily low dose pain medication. I did seek surgical opinions however 2003-2005/6 and had recommendations for everything from fusion at 3 lumbar levels to Artificial discs at 2 lumbar levels to hybrid surgery with ADR and fusion (L4 and L5S1).

I decided not to have more surgery at least thus far given my L5S1 area started to autofuse or fuse naturally on it's own which helped limited the movement in that area and the pain.

I did keep my weight down and walk pretty regularly for exercise which I think was very helpful at least to keep arthritic changes from bothering me so much, some people might prefer other types of exercise though like swimming, etc.

I now get an injection of Toradol 60mg once/mo for spasms which really helps quite a bit especially if super locked up in spasms.

Well this sort of covers it for what I've used over the years between my last surgery and now. I would love to never have another back surgery again and hope that is possible however I'm a realist so I know I'm Ok for now and will just have to see what the future brings!

Hope this was helpful. My best to your sister! Maria