View Single Post
Old 10-12-2014, 06:26 AM

Default Need advice on lumbar ADR surgeon

Hi Everyone:

I'm in a different situation than others here because I've had Scoliosis surgery and already have fourteen levels of my spine fused, from T2-L3/4. Now, as a result of the horrible Scoliosis surgery, I have severe DDD at L-5 and L5- S1. Instead of getting the rest of my spine fused and having NO MOVEMENT in my spine at all, I am wanting ADR at L4-5 and L5- S1.

The ADR in me will be at a tremendous disadvantage because of the fusion on top, which will put constant pressure on the ADR. However, it's been done before in patients like me. If I didn't already have my entire spine fused, I would just fuse a few levels...but I NEED my remaining lumbar movement.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel here, so please everyone advise me as to what is the best lumbar disc that will take the most pressure and last the longest? What surgeon should I go to? Bertagnoli wouldn't answer my questions about patients like me, Zeeger wanted $1100 before he would talk to me...even the local surgeon I found did not tell me to get Osteoporosis tested or CT Scan/facet tested first...they just want your money? I only know to get tested for Osteoporosis and facet disease because Dr. Bitan in NYC told me to. However, I'm afraid I won't be able to afford a surgery in New York.

Is it true that if you get your surgery overseas and then need a revision that no US surgeon will touch you? And, if you don't have money for a revision, what happens? Do you go paralyized? If you need a fusion when the ADR breaks, will a US surgeon at least do that? Would insurance cover a post-ADR fusion even if they did not cover the ADR?

thanks for any advice. Everyone here is so nice!

Anne