View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 08:24 PM

Default weaning off pain med..questions

The company that covers my risk management co. that pays for my future medical visits/treatment and such rendered a decision that essentially cuts my pain medication by a 4th re count per month but per the PM that was utilized it is called "weaning." Methadone isn't exactly the easiest drug to wean from and I have been on a very low dose for the last 13 years so am trying to comply however it is proving to be very challenging. This did NOT come from my own PM as he is comfortable with me being on the dose of medication that I am on a daily basis as it has worked for me pretty much re pain management over the years. I have not had to increase my dose at all in the years I have been taking the medication either. I believe he has also tried to file an appeal however he missed the mandatory phone call time he was supposed to be available to talk to someone re my Appeal so not sure if his input will be helpful at this point.

Last night I thought I might choke to death on my own secretions (post nasal mucoid drip at back of throat.. it was really difficult to deal with an went on for hours... My GI symptoms are really quite difficult to tolerate and I feel like I'm being beaten with a 2x2 all over my body. Otherwise I am doing "ok"...

I did file a Voluntary Appeal although don't really expect anything to come of it as dealing with WC is like banging one's head into a brick wall repeatedly. Hurts me but not them...

I have looked up weaning with Methadone and found some resources that say it's a very slow process such as lowering dose by 1mg every 2 weeks or so until near desired dose.

My regular medical insurance and medicare made me sign waivers that I could not use these insurances for anything related to my WC back claim/prob so I'm feeling like I'm in a very delicate position.

Anyone that has any experience with Methadone weaning I would appreciate hearing from..

I have been fairly pleased with my pain control to date using this medication however am willing to see what changes can be made and how I will function as a consequence.

Last edited by Maria; 04-04-2015 at 03:05 PM.