View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 11:32 PM

Default re what just happened/work

In the past I didn't let my work environment know what was going on if possible (which it wasn't always obviously when missing large amounts of time off of work due to back stuff) though I would go out on temporary disability as anyone should able to do that at least if you are in the USA. Also I would take the max amount of leave time for my surgeries not the minimum that I "might" be better by so usually I took 8 weeks off and then on my second surgery had to go with an extension at the end of that for another month.

I'm pretty sure you cannot be refused the temporary disability part and Family Medical Leave should be saved for someone else's illness in the family or a death or something like that I think. I never took Family Medical leave for any of my own stuff (2 back surgeries and 2 right knee surgeries) only for when my Mom passed away and I had to be away from work for a month. If you do it thru your employer they pay the time off but if you pay into SS then you can get temporary disability leave after I think 7 unpaid days off or something like that.

Don't say anything else to your work just check out what you can do legally and I do believe your doctor can order you to be off work almost immediately and you can go on a temporary disability or you can give a notice about how many weeks you're going to be out. Do not feel you are screwed and have to wait. Please check out your options but without letting your employer know your exact plans. You have to think of #1 and your family if you're the bread winner so please do that.