View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 06:17 PM

Default re retiring/income

I didn't listen to my PCP when she told me I should retire (on disability) while I was still working full time. I thought she was just "part of the system" re my employer and did not have my best interests in mind. I worked part time for the last few years which meant less money when I finally did file for permanent disability and SSD.

If you're thinking about retiring on permanent disability Medicare health care benefits take up to 24 months waiting period and I've forgotten now if that was from point of filing for permanent disability or point of permanent disability being awarded.

I'm not sure how your employer benefits go but sometimes employers keep paying benefits up until you file for Permanent disability and then you start to Cobra after that. So maybe you'd catch a break there with the wait period from when you retire on disability and when you are eligible for Medicare.

Once you have Medicare you will need a supplemental insurance as well however at that point there are plans that are relatively inexpensive even if they are HMOs which I really dislike .. at least it's something.

Good luck and yes you are far from alone in any of this and what you might be thinking now or at any point.. many of us have been there too