View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 02:48 PM

Default To fuse or not to fuse

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted for awhile, but have sure enjoyed reading everyones' threads - ya'll are great. I'm currently struggling with symptomatic facet arthritis at L5/S1 and at L4/L5. So far, radiofrequency neurotomy has not been successful, although, I might consider trying it again.

The annoying part of all of this is that I have a very well-placed Charite at L5/S1 that has done great for almost five years next month. Additionally, a discogram perfromed last month showed a nice, healthy, and pain-free disc at L4/l5.

So, the question for the group is whether it's time to give up on motion preservation and starting planning for a double-level fusion, or continue with pain management in hopes that something better will be developed soon. My pain is certainly not extreme right now, although it is definitely limiting.

My biggest concern with waiting is the lack of any promising new technologies for the facet joints. There are lots of different ADR's available, as well as dynamic stabilization devices, but nothing that specifically addresses the facet joints other than TOP's, TFAS, AFRS, and Zyre. I can't really see any really effective facet arthroplasty devices being available anywhere in the world for at least ten years (darn). Maybe I'm being too pessimistic?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Best to All,
Laura