View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Thanks for the perspective

Maria and Allen and everyone - thanks so much! When you're feeling like you're going downhill, it's very easy to think that you MUST do something in order to be like "normal people". Some of this stems from our odd pain patterns, i.e. walking around reduces pain while sitting in a chair and "taking it easy" increases it. You don't know how many times I've said that I have spine problems and been offered a wheelchair at the airport when what I really need is to either lay down or walk briskly. It seems SO difficult for people to understand that I can't drive a car long distances (and where I live, EVERYTHING is long distance), but I can hike up a mountain.

You all have made me realize that I've been contemplating a double-level fusion in large part because of "peer pressure" - darn, and I complain about teenagers being silly. THANKS!!

By the way, I definitely DO take meds, just not the "heavy duty" ones yet. I cannot even begin to sleep without my tizanadine and sometimes a tramadol. I now have to take tramadol every other week or so at work if it's a long "sitting day". Luckily, not being on them around the clock, I'm hoping not to tolerance any time soon.

I also like the idea of modifying the activities that HURT. Up until now, "activity modification" meant giving up the things like hiking and skiing that DON'T hurt very much - how silly! Why not rearrange my work schedule so that I'm out on the floor more observing processes and take frequent breaks and walks when I'm at my desk writing reports or analyzing data? My plant consists of lot of buildings spread out over a seven mile square area out in the desert for heaven's sake - I can take a beautiful walk right out the door of my office. Next year my state will be gettin a commuter rail that will, hopefully, will allow me to quit doing so much driving when I need to get to a big city (and save gas to boot). Biking and/or walking short distances also reduces painful car-time and keep me trim as a plus.

Life will probably never be "normal" for me in that there will alway be things that I cannot do without pain. At the same time, irreversible surgical decisions should not be made lightly - especially given the rapid advance of new technology. Facet replacement devices may be five years away, but, five years isn't really that long if one's pain is well managed and one can exercise and do things that are meaningful to oneself.

Thanks again for straightening me out. Ya'll are wonderful!

Best,
Laura