View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 01:49 AM

Default response

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems-If a patient comes to me with what you are describing, an EMG is in order to test the integrety of the spinal nerves. It can show if there are derangements in a particular nerve (i.e. it sounds like if the pain is wrapping around from your low back and going to your knees, it could be a problem with L4...an EMG can help demonstrate this). The MRI was also a good idea, but it sounds like structurally all is well there. Some times, scarring can occur in the spine which may not show up on a regular MRI unless it was performed with and without contrast which will help the scar tissue enhance. This phenomenon is most often seen after a posterior procedure that affects the epidural space-Fusion, laminectomy, etc., but it can happen anytime there is an inflammatory process. Inflammation causes a proliferation of fibroblasts which...you guessed it, make fiber or scarr tissue which can tether nerve roots and create symptoms like you are describing. The problem is that the Dyneses system does not require compromise of the epidural space to install, but I've seen it with anterior fusions which were thought to be able to circumvent this problem. The bowel issue takes priority at this point, but as I have posted before on this site, the Dyneses System has a major flaw, and that is that the screws seem to come loose over time and are perhaps affecting the nerve roots. I have also seen several cases where the spine surgeon placed the screws through the nerve root and not the pedicle!!!!!and couldn't figure out why the patient was hurting-problably not the case with you as you felt better after your surgery, but perahps these suggestions would be a good place to start. Good Luck-pain doc