View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 05:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to tisury
Default 6 week post op update

Time for an update. Not much to report. I know it is still very early, but this is definitely a roller coaster ride. I have days that I feel great and other days (especially rainy days) that I hurt like hell. Sometimes it is the old familiar pain, and some times it is strange pains. One day my hips hurt, the next my knee, then my back, then my calves, feet, or my legs. All in all though, it is still better than before surgery and I seem to recoup much faster by changing position, soaking in a hot tub or walking. The morning stiffness has improved greatly. I am still on the 50 mcg patches of fentanyl (reduced from the pre op 100 mcg), and have decreased the amount of percocet and Soma I am taking. At 4 weeks, I started wearing my brace part time instead of all the time and that caused some minor flare ups in my low back. That was expected though. I can only hope that things continue to improve with time. It's tough, since I am not known for my patience..........but that's what I need to be right now.......patient, very patient. Sitting is still a challenge. Wish that would improve so I could get back to working some. Could use the money right about not, but I refuse to push myself and do anything to risk my recovery.

Finally got to see one post op xray. Wish I could figure out how to post it. The bottom ADR at L5-S1 that was done here in the states looks really crooked now. It always was and the surgical report said it was "slightly off center". Now with the 2 new discs above it though, you can really notice how off center it is. Hopefully, this doesn't turn out to be an issue.

I go for a walk 4-6 times a day. Morning and evening (when it is cooler), I go a mile and a half. The rest of the walks are between a half mile and a mile. So yes, I am breaking it up. My leg strength is definetely improving and I have lost quite a bit of weight in these 6 weeks (15-20 lbs). That doesn't hurt either.

Maria - 3 coach seats? Wouldn't that cost as much as a business class seat? In our case, it would have cost the same. I even tried to get coach out (figuring I would just suffer) and business class for the return - but that was more because it involved two one way tickets instead of a round trip.
Oct 2004-very minor improvement -severe nerve pain in hips,legs, and backside has not improved.
Rhizotomy L2-L5 no relief
Sept 2005-Positional MRI shows bulges at L3-4 &
L4-5 impinging on nerves
May 2006 Nuleoplasty L3-5 no help
May 22 2007-2nd ADR surgery-2 level Prodisc (L34 &
L45) & vertebroplasty - Dr. Bertagnoli -Germany.