View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 03:42 AM

Hi Michele,
Sorry to hear what a tough time you are having. I'm surprised your UK docs can't see any pressure on the cord, as your symptoms are classic.

I was dx'ed 3 years ago with cord compression at c3/4/5. Had gait problems, mild l'Hermittes (shocks) and hyperreflexia. Also had cord edema, which it seemed was the chief problem. Symptoms resolved within a few months.

My doc here in Canada wanted to fuse 3 levels starting at c2 (because it would probably go eventually). US doc wanted to do a 2-level fusion/discectomy. That started me looking overseas. Ended up with Mark and Bertagnoli, booked, postponed and resched surgery several times due to circumstances beyond my control. But as I had no symptoms, I got permission from Dr. B's partner to "watchfully wait".
I get a new MRI every 6 months or so.

I've been on cycling trips, even fell backwards and hit my head on ice.

Just got an MRI last week, no evidence of myelopathy; however, and this is rather new, severe foraminal stenosis left c3/4 and right c4/5 plus grade 1 spondyolisthesis due to severe facet arthropathy at c7/t1. Will have to consult the gurus to see what's next.

I don't know what to suggest to you, but if your symptoms are persistent you might want to follow up with the European docs. Check out their references, ask more questions. Perhaps the doc who only wants to do one level right now has more experience and knows it is safe to wait or perhaps it's the other doc! Mark can probably help you there. He's been super for me, and I haven't even been under the knife yet. Good luck.