View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 11:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lyndsay Send a message via Skype™ to Lyndsay
Default Update

8 month post ADR Update

Well it's not looking good I've met with the new Neurosurgeon who was absolutely lovely & very reassuring in what is not the best of situations.

First of all on examination it was picked up that I have some neuro deficits in my legs, my right more so than the left. Certainly my reflexes aren't at all good.

One thing that the NS picked up in my original notes to my GP from my surgeon (copies I took with me) is that L4 WAS a confirmed pain generator in my Discogram as I thought it was! (I still remember & could point to you where those needles went & that's with sedation!!) Also it had been noted & written about End Stage Facet Arthrosis around the L5/S1.

Due to recent problems & new symptoms over the last week, the NS wants to first do a CT with Myleogram to see what shows up. An MRI is out of the question because he wants to look at the L4 disc & the Prodisc at L5 will interfere in getting a clear enough picture. I'm not looking forward to this as he's told me I will be in pain afterwards, I assume because of the dye & the table tilting? I also have to have some Facet Injections & another Discogram at L4 to see if it is still a positive pain generator.

Once all the tests are finished then I'm looking at either a fusion over the Prodisc at L5/S1 or the fusion plus a disc replacement at L4 (or even a double fusion). What ever is done will have to be done posterially & through the side which of course means even bigger surgery than the original ADR

Also in the meantime, if some of my certain new symptoms & problems persist & depending on the CT results, I may, to tied me over, have to have a decompression at L4 as there is concern that I may have the start of, or already have, some mild Cauda Equina. If my symptoms get any worse then the NS advised I contact him straight away for immediate investigation/treatment as he said with my ADR it will be a waste of time just going to A&E. Fingers crossed it may just be a blip or just a small nerve impingement.

All of the above is written down on the Patient Info Sheet for me & to also copy to my GP.

The NS has also given me the go ahead to return to the Chiropractor to see if it will help with my neck & also to check the alignement in my back. It was also recommended that I try some deep tissue massage to try as he said the muscles in my back are quite locked in spasm which of course explains a lot of the pain in my muscles.

We did discuss whether or not to inform my original surgeon of what is happening & although he will be informed, we decided that for the time being we won't say anything.

I have very mixed feelings right now which I'm sure is understandable given the circumstances.

Oh, to finish, we did get to call in & meet Alastair & his wife where the hospitality was lovely & it was good to finally meet the man on the other end of the telephone

If anyone wants to know anymore about my new problems then please PM me otherwise any input on my forthcoming treatment is welcome

36 years old
DDD
Rupture/Herniation from 97 >
End Stage Facet Joint Arthritis
Fibromyalgia/CFS
Discogram 4 Oct 06 +ve L4-S1
ADR Pro-disc L5/S1 15 Nov 06 ~ Disaster
March 07 Xray's show Exaggerated Lordosis in the lumber spine, PT can't correct
Various injections including Facets
2008 Dx Hypermobility Joint Syndrome (EDS III)
2009 Still on too many meds & in too much pain
Awaiting CT/Myelogram & poss revision