View Single Post
Old 09-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Dylan,

I'm sorry that you have this difficult decision to make.

I was fortunate enough to be able to observe a Kineflex procedure recently. While it was early in the surgeon's Kineflex series, he's a very experienced ADR surgeon (Bitan). I can't tell you how impressed I was with the surgery, placement, etc... His Charite' experience served him very well. Regan and Lauryssen are both good men and good surgeons and I think you'll be in good hands.

If the Kineflex study is in play for you, make your decision. There are a limited number of slots available. It's a good opportunity to get ADR and the financial deal with the trial is great. It's much easier to consider because it's randomized against the Charite. However, in addition to the Kineflex, you must be comfortable with the Charite and with the surgeon's Charite experience.

It sounds like you are still wrestling with the decision to pull the trigger as much as with the Kinflex choice.

1. Am I bad enough to consider doing the surgery?
2. Do I have any reasonable expectation that things will be improving without surgical intervention?
3. What am I putting at risk by waiting? Do I have options now that will be poorer options if I wait - like facets? (Obviously, this is balanced against the hope of better technology, but if the answers to 1 is that your life is too severely limited and 2 is positive also, you probably never get to this question.)

I'm developing a new theory about how huge a component depression is in the equation. It may be possible that many patients can achieve a substantially improved quality of life without surgical intervention. This may completely change the balance of the equation. Imagine if you didn't get out the big gun for the adrenaline wave and simply enjoyed easy shore break... maybe you'd be in much better shape now.

Tough choices and our opportunities come and go. Yes, I believe that the experiences are mostly positive. Yes, I believe that the points you listed probably make you an excellent candidate and people in that kind of shape enjoy a greater success rate than the people with long standing problems, severe issues at other levels, many problems with other elements of the spine, medication and depression issues.... However, we all know perfect candidates with poor outcomes and horrible candidates with excellent outcomes. Go in with your eyes open... do your homework... make informed decisions.

All the best,

Mark