View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 04:21 PM

Default advice

Rose,
I think considering what you're reporting your PCP is correct in advising you to go to the ER should the painful episode be that severe and debilitating.

Personally I went thru many episodes that lasted weeks and I wasn't functional because of the pain, I was in fact bedridden and never once did I go to an ER for treatment however, many persons I have known did and were assessed for their current status, and/or treated for an acute flareup type of situation with possibly some diagnostics being done that ER visit depending on the subjective and objective findings (complaint that brought you in and the examination findings).

As I previously stated if you are in severe unrelenting or increasing pain and/or you have numbness or loss of use of extremities, or loss of bowel or bladder tone, these are reasons to head off to the ER.

You are distressed and quite obviously as one cannot function as needed when in your current painful situation so I would most definately seek some answers/treatment. You are in an acute painful state right now so it would make sense to go to the ER and be seen and there either have a recommendation to follow up with a spine doc (if necessary) or other speciality if needed.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that sometimes we become used to blaming our spines for every ache and pain and there can be other underlying causes for pain that would be otherwise missed if not checked out medically.

Good luck, please keep us posted.